?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
18 September 2007 @ 03:27 pm
HIGHLY INTENTIONAL EXPERIMENT: Heat tolerance of plastic cups  

I've been eating oatmeal with a plastic spoon out of a plastic cup for my breakfasts recently.  I'm sure you're familiar with the cups - they're red and plastic, and sold in huge bulk at Costco.  Anyway, my routine recently has included the pouring of oatmeal into said cup followed by the addition of hot water from the Brita dispenser.  Presto, a portable, disposable breakfast.

I was staying at a friend's place recently, and decided to bring my breakfast suppies with me.  No problem.  Except that they don't have a hot water dispenser.  Again, no problem.

Day #1:  Insert oatmeal, add milk (I was experimenting - turned out quite good), put in microwave for 45 seconds.  Check my e-mail for five minutes, check on oatmeal - it's not hot enough.  Add 45 more seconds.  Perfect!  CONCLUSION:  45 seconds is too few.

Day #2:  Insert oatmeal, add milk, and put in microwave for 90 seconds.  I open the door to discover a melted mush of cup with some very nice oatmeal in it.  CONCLUSION:  Less time.  CONCLUSION #2:  This oatmeal doesn't taste like pastic cup, so I guess I'm OK.

Day #3:  Insert oatmeal, add milk, put in microwave for 60 seconds.  Cup is still mush.  Oatmeal still doesn't taste like cancer, so here's hoping.

There wasn't a day 4.  This requires further studies to discover the melting point of the cups...